Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Mouthy sluts

Sometimes in life you are a victim of circumstance. A series of events, timings and inevitablilities can end up forcing you into atrocious situations you wouldn't normally have left yourself exposed to.

My recent fate (the time I take my lunch at coupled with the facts that our staff room has two stations-ITV and AV, and that I usually feel too brain dead to read a book) has led me to dark depths. I have unwittingly become a follower of ITV's female led panel show Loose Women.
A show which "consists of a panel of four women who interview celebrities and discuss topical issues, ranging from daily politics and current affairs, to celebrity gossip and sexism."

Today saw them discussing (with guest panelist Fizz from Coronation street) the ever so topical engagement of Prince William and Kate. Proceedings got very spirited, as you can imagine, and the excitement was oozing out of their painted mouths at the rate of knots when they started discussing the potential dress designs and wedding speeches. Things took a turn for the worst though when they had a heated debate over whether or not it was right for him to give her his dead Mother's ring. Handbags at dawn-quite literally.

I find it very hysterical that a show which lists sexism as one of it's topics would not even see the ironic irony in it's own title. Only mouthy sluts have opinions, is it? Its a title that was clearly meant to induce surprise once you got into it- "that must be a show full of cum guzzling knacker tarts" and then switch it on to be greeted by a group of strong, mature women who have refused to let themselves go . They have opinions ladies, and they aren't prepared to hide them!

What you actually get is a pack of divorce ridden trolls in blusher who churn out dollops of celebrity horseshit glossed over with a lick of current affairs (just to show women can talk politics too.)

I'm not opposed to women only shows if I felt they were entertaining, in any way representative or were serving any purpose in our quest for equality. They should just give up the ghost, get their tits out, throw down some double bacardis and start simulating blow jobs on chippendales.

4 comments:

Rosie said...

i used to watch it when i was depressed and unemployed. it made matters worse.

on the feminist reaction to the ever so topical engagement of Prince William and Kate, check this depressing contribution out.

the dublinista said...

You know your life has taken a dip when you're watching this shite in your pyjamas.

In regards to the other thing, I'd be happy with a barn brack ring if I thought it meant something. Everyone seems so offended that she wasn't taken out to pick out her own ring, which I would never want to have to do. Is that standard practice now, oh wise and married one?

Rosie said...

you know your life's taken a dip when you're sitting at a conference on a saturday morning sneakily reading blogs and wishing you had a few months to watch that shite in your pyjamas.

i'd be the same as yourself re the ring. my sister made mine for me, but only after we'd gotten engaged (i was ill and he panicked and asked me to marry him so's i'd stop crying, or something. there was no time for shopping, he thought i was on my deathbed). i just wore an old ring on my "wedding" finger for a while so's i'd have something to remind me not to chat up fellas at bus stops.

Unknown said...

"You know your life has taken a dip when you're watching this shite in your pyjamas." Get a grip, that's my life goal.

So weird I was just wondering if you were still posting and i stumble upon this piece not 4 days old.

Still brain twins.