Monday, December 15, 2008

The Day the Earth stood Still

Keanu rent-a-robot Reeves turns out another signature role as the emotionless and potentially developmentally disabled alien. Does anyone remember the last time he was given the responsibility of playing an actual human? I can just imagine the direction on set "Give me more Neo... Still Neo...Neo... now Constantine... Constantine... mono-syllabic... work it...work it." I don't know what was the best part of this film was- the horrifically horrendous script, the appalling plot, or the atrocious costumes that wouldn't have looked out of place in a primary school fancy dress party.
I think, think, the overall message was about the environment and how we're all ravaging it, but I could be looking too much into it. Any intelligible points were lost amongst the sexy scientist, dead parent and bemused Alien cliches that were being thrown in at every second.
The threat of life being wiped out didn't bother me as not only did I not care for anyone in the film, I hated them.
Still though, funniest film I've seen in ages. Me and half the cinema laughed the whole way through it.

8 comments:

Rosie said...

sounds like one for a hungover sunday.

the dublinista said...

Indeed it was Rosie. I knew it was going to be a pile of shite,but it was all there was and as I'm sure you'll agree theres nothing nicer than cinema on a sunday. No matter what you go to see.

The Other Side Of The Coin said...

Damn I feel like I let myself down by being unusually intrigued by the ad...didn't the FX and sexy scientist save it somewhat???

the dublinista said...

Coiney: I never saw the trailer. I can't imagine what snippets they could have possibly shown to fool you into thinking it was a good film. But don't listen to me... I'm no Cosmo Lansden.

Radge said...

Matrix Revolutions, Savoy One, drunk. That was something.

Your new font is very tough going (forgive me). Thank fuck for the content.

the dublinista said...

Thanks Radge- I agree with you and have changed it. I was trying something...

Mearsley said...

I agree with Radge, I don't look at many Irish blogs but whenever I re-stumble on this blog I love all the tales. Keep it coming!

the dublinista said...

Raymond: I received a lot of gripe about the font alright. For you return custom, I thank you kindly.